-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Jack Campin
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [abcusers] Everybody SING ALONG!

John Chambers wrote:
> Karl Dallas writes:
>| Next week . . . the Horst Wessel song and other anthems of the
>| Holocaust.
> The silver lining in such things can be the body of good music that is
> sometimes the only way to deal with it. Maybe someone has the abcs ...

I played this tune at the session in Musselburgh on Monday:

X:1
T:Palestine Song
M:C
L:1/8
Q:1/4=80
K:E Dorian
B|E2 E2 G2 G2      |E2      E/F/G/F/     E2 ED |\
  F2 A2 B2 B/A/G   |F2    (3E/D/E/   F/G/F HE2:|
B|B2 d2 d2 BA      |B2      dc           B3  z |\
  B2 dc B2 B/A/G/F/|G2      A/G/F/E/     D3  z |
  E2 B2 B2 AG      |FG/F/ (3E/D/E/   F/G/F HE2|]

Then I explained what it was about.  It's the tune for a song by
the German minnesinger Walther von der Vogelweide, written about
1200; the words begin in a tone of mystical exaltation, a pilgrim
talking about his joy in setting foot in the land the Saviour walked
on.  That's the bit that early music groups frequently perform.  It
ends with a call to all-out slaughter of the Saracens.  It was a
rallying cry for what became the Fourth Crusade.

That crusade was bankrolled by the Venetians.  Once the Crusaders
got to Venice (having killed an indeterminate number of Jews along
the way) it was payback time.  The Venetians got them first to
conquer a Christian city in Hungary they'd had their eyes on, and
then went for the big one: the capture of Constantinople and the
ransacking of its wealth for the Venetian treasury (the Lions of
St Mark, still in Venice, were a small part of the booty), with a
regime change installing a Venetian client as ruler of the Byzantine
empire.  The pillage was so thorough that Byzantium never recovered;
250 years later the Turks walked into a ghost town.

The Crusaders never got to Palestine, but the Venetians got what
they wanted.

(There are probably better ways to notate that: I'm reconstructing
what I've heard various early music groups do with it).

-----
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131
6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack>     *     food intolerance data &
recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files, and my CD-ROM "Embro,
Embro".

To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html