From: "John Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Actually, my main reasoning is that of  a  programmer:   If  we
want
> everyone  to  implement  this  U:   header, it should be as simple
as
> possible.  A string substitution is about as simple as it  gets,
and
> very easy to implement in just about any language.

Actually this isn't *just* a programmer's viewpoint.    If it is
"easy to parse" then that also probably means that it is free of
ambiguities - which is crucial when the same character symbol eg
A, ], :   is used as part of different constructs.

Dave
David Webber
Author of MOZART the music processor for Windows -
http://www.mozart.co.uk
Member of the North Cheshire Concert Band
http://www.northcheshire.org.uk