I. Oppenheim wrote:

>I think that the !...! format is also very useful, and
>that we should keep it in the standard, in peaceful
>coexistence with your macro facility.

I could probably live with the !...! format, although I don't like it*.
The real problem is the confusion between symbol redefinition and macros
generated by the way in which the U: field is used.

* I don't like it because:

(1)  There are lots of abc2win files on the net which use the exclamation
     mark for a different purpose.

(2)  It leads to unreadable abc if you have lots of !text! embedded in
     the tune.

(3)  The exclamation marks aren't even necessary if you use macros to
     implement it, and the word(s) to be replaced are unique.  Macros
     can replace any arbitrary chunk of text, and don't need delimiters.

Phil Taylor