Eric Galluzzo donned his asbestos suit and opined:

| Regarding %%staves
| ------------------
|
| I personally find %%staves very useful, and (despite comments to the
| contrary) very intuitive.  How about adding some official variant of
| this to the standard?  It seems much more concise, and more intuitive,
| than the
|
| V:1 bracket=2
|
| type notation that abc2ps had originally introduced.  We are running out
| of letters for headers, though; how about lowercase "s"?  Thus:
|
| X:1
| T:My Choir + Organ Piece
| M:4/4
| L:1/4
| s:[1 2 3 4] {(5 6) (7 8) 9}
| K:C

Well, we could, but I think I like the %%staves better. The
reason  is  that  we  really  have  adopeed %% as a sort of
"pragma" or "metacommand" flag, and we have  a  significant
body  of  formatting  goodies  in  this notation.  It seems
cleaner to me to leave the core abc notation fairly  devoid
of  formatting  stuff,  and package it off to the side like
this.   So  %%staves  would  be  in  the  same   class   as
%%leftmargin, %%titlefont, %%indent, and the rest. They all
deal with non-musical formatting information, not with  the
music itself.

One of the standard's appendices could include  a  list  of
these,  with the general suggestion that software implement
any that are applicable.  For players, of course, they  are
all irrelevant.

What do others think?