Jack Campin writes:
| > Consider the D-Ahavoh Rabboh mode, common in Klezmer. [...]
|
| You're missing the point.  John was talking about the difference
| between writing such scales as an explicit key signature at the
| start (as is usually done these days for Turkish music) and
| taking some major or minor key signature as the base and then
| writing an accidental beside every note that deviates from it.
| We seem to be agreed that the latter is not generally a good
| idea; I was pointing out occasions when it has in fact been done
| in print.

Exactly right. When the big Klezmer revival started back in
the 70's and 80's, published music usually did shoehorn the
tunes into classical scales, with lots of accidentals. This
was widely considered silly.  Would you write A-major tunes
in G, and add accidentals on all the C's and G's? Of course
not;  you'd  write  a  key signature that shows the correct
scale, and write accidentals on notes  outside  that  scale
(including   brief   excursions  into  other  keys).   Most
collections if Irish and Scottish  music  have  long  since
gotten  away  from  writing  dorian and mixolydian tunes in
classical major/minor keys with accidentals to correct  the
scale.

More recent Klezmer collections have gone  to  writing  the
correct  key  signatures  for tunes, and they are often not
classical signatures.  A couple of years ago, Mel  Bay  put
out a nice Klezmer collection that does this.

There is a certain amount of judgement needed here. Klezmer
music  uses  at  least 5 distinct scales routinely, and the
style involves a lot of switching  between  closely-related
keys  and  scales.   This is generally true of a lot of the
music of eastern Europe.  So  you  find  yourself  thinking
"Hmmm ...  This tune seems to start in D freygish, but then
it clearly cadences on G minor.  Then back to Df,  but  the
third part goes into Bb major for several bars, and then it
moves to C minor, hangs around there a while, and then ends
on a D major chord." So you pick some reasonable compromise
key, maybe the starting or ending key, and use accidentals.

And everyone who thinks they know the music will explain to
you  why  you  should have picked a different signature for
that tune.  Maybe they're right.