> Particularly, I'm getting unhappy about Jack's (??I think) mention
> of A: as Author (of words). Or, more particularly, I use A: heavily as
> Area, and am not comfortable, about 1) conflicting with other meanings
> (it's not the first time A: ==  Author has been mentioned) and 2) the
> issues that get raised by hierarchical data fields. In practice there's
> no problem to it (that I can see) that a little commonsense can't deal
> with, but it's not quite comfortable all the same. I could (maybe)
> invent something like "%%A:Sweden:J\"amtland", "%%A:England:Northwest",
> but these things are more useful if software understands them ...

We already have another field that is used for geographical info, "O:".
The way some people have used these assumes that a tune will only be
assigned one location (as with a field transcriber's notes), and hence
every Area will be contained in a unique country of Origin.  Your own
files don't work that way: you take one transcription of a tune and
list all the countries that lay claim to something like it.  So if you
find a tune in both Yorkshire and Nova Scotia you have a teensy weensy
problemette working out what "A:Halifax" means.

Better to use the O: field hierarchically:

  O:Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
  O:Bradford and Bingley, Yorkshire, England

which is less ambiguous, frees up A: for a very important function we
don't yet have a standardized field for, and is not much harder to
search on.