Arent Storm writes:
| > Someone else wrote:
| > > I used to use it and stopped because I always let the software
| > > determine the line breaks for me.  But if I were still expecting to
| > > determine my own line breaks, I might still be doing it that way.
| >
| > It was the original syntax, wasn't it ? It worked before the "inline
| > field" [M:...] syntax was introduced, so there may be a lot of older
| > tunes out there that have it.

| There *may* be,  but are there?
| I haven't seen any...

It's hard to find. I searched around through my collection,
including  a  lot of abc taken from assorted mailing lists,
and I had trouble finding more that a handful of files with
M: or K: inside the music, either in the clumsy old form or
bracketed.

Even in classical music, such changes aren't common.   It's
much  more  common  to just keep the same meter or key, and
draw bar lines or accidentals as you need them. People seem
to  dislike changing such settings unless the change is for
a big chunk of the music.

So we're talking about what is a somewhat rare usage.   Not
much  abc  will  have to change if we change the software's
behavior for continuation lines in this case.

Of course, if you're one of the very few people who do this
sort of thing a lot, you might be a bit annoyed ...