> I have recently come by a small book "Songs of the Gael", by A. P.
> Breathnach, 1922.

It's still widely used by Gaelic singers.

> This book appears to use precisely the notation system
> described by Jack.  I am about ready to transcribe the music to a familiar
> (to me) form of notation.  I have searched the Internet for some reference
> on this system of notation, but have thus far had no luck in finding
> *anything* that defines usage of the various characters and marks.  The
> letter characters obviously represent the solfege notes, but the meaning
> of the other characters is not so clear.  Can you, Jack, or anyone, point
> me to a reference, either printed or online, that defines this notation
> system?

The standard reference is John Curwen, "Standard Course on the Tonic
Sol-Fa Method", reprinted in umpteen editions from 1858 onwards (I have
the 1901 edition).  It goes far beyond simply being a notation manual;
it's a complete course in the theory and practice of music.

The example I was trying to do was the one in the New Grove "Notation"
article, from the hymnbook of a syncretistic Nigerian church of the
1950s with a familiar Protestant hymn set to the most bizarre-looking
text ever seen outside a Gnostic incantation.

It wouldn't be hard to generate it from ABC but you would need to find
the right fonts from somewhere.