John Chambers wrote:
One thought: At least with keyboard music, what you have is
a  "transient  voice"  that  isn't  a  true voice, but just
appears for a brief time and then  fades  away.   Maybe  we
could use a single voice, and flag the transient voice with
something like a '+' to mean "Add this to the voice".   The
recent example then might look like:

[V:1] | A2 E2 G2 A2 | A B c d e f g  a | g2 f2 e2 a2 |]
[V:1+]|             | A A A A A A A  A |
[V:1+]|             | A G F E D C B, A,|

The [V:1+] notation  would  mean  to  add  these  into  the
previous  staff as part of V:1.  You could use | as much as
needed to get the bars aligned correctly, as is done in  w:
lines to skip to the next bar.

Would this solve the problem?  It would take a bit of  work
to implement, but probably no more than the '&' approach. I
think it could be made a lot more readable,  too,  as  this
simple  example  shows.  In most cases, I suppose you would
only need one such extra line, to add in the notes that are
difficult to put in the [V:1] line.

OK, but what I was trying to get a reaction to initially was allowing whatever syntax triggers overlays of notes to similarly trigger an overlay in the corresponding lyrics in the w: line. I am currently up against this limitation in abcm2ps trying to typeset a choral piece where there are the four SATB parts through the entire piece, but only in the last three or four measures the bass part splits into bass I and bass II, with slightly different rhythms for the lyrics.

John F.