Bernard Hill writes:
| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, I. Oppenheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
| >There are to supported syntaxes:
| >[A] K:<tonic><mode> <accidentals>
| >[B] K:<tonic> <accidentals>
| >
| >Syntax A will _modify_ the key signature of the mode
| >given, rather than simply append accidentals to it.
| >Example:
| >
| >K:Dmaj =c  % will give F# Cnat
| >
| >Syntax B, which only contains the name of the tonic,
| >and does not imply a mode, will allow you to spell out
| >a key signature in full:
| >
| >K:D ^f =c % same meaning as above
| >
| >Note that in syntax B the tonic may be basically
| >ignored by the parser; the tonic is only there to make
| >the notation comprehensible to other users.

In several discussions, we've also had a  number  of  people  request
that  the  tonic  be  officially  optional.  One reason is to help in
transcriptions where the transcriber may get the key wrong.

One objection has been the fear that if we allow  this,  then  tonics
will  disappear.   I  suspect  that  this  won't happen at all.  Even
musicians who are relatively ignorant of music theory understand what
it means to say that a tune is "in G" or "in E minor". It's very rare
for musicians to tell you the key signature; they  usually  give  you
the tonic and/or the mode (even if they don't know those terms).

And the counter-argument to this has been from people who  feel  that
it's better to not give the tonic than to give the wrong tonic.  This
is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. And how liberal an abc
program wants to be is probably a matter of the programmer's personal
preference. We've already seen that putting global accidentals in the
1.6  standard  didn't  mean that many programmers would implement it.
The same probably applies here.

| "Strange" key sigs such as the above (while clear in intent) are very
| non-standard. Are they really necessary? I've never played from one and
| would actually find it very difficult to play _b ^f

They aren't at all strange to a lot of us.  Even music publishers are
now  accepting  such things.  For example, Mel Bay's recent (and well
done) klezmer collection has a lot of non-classical key signatures. A
lot  depends  on  what music you play.  Part of the pressure for more
extensions in abc is from people playing music other than traditional
British  Isles  folk  music.   Sorry, folks; the musical weirdos have
discovered abc, like it, and want to use it.

| Anyway: have you abandoned the "global accidentals" idea? I thought it
| very good actually. In fact some Bach is written that way - he writes a
| key sig of 1 flat and "manually" flattens every E and ends on a G minor
| chord!

Yeah; I've noticed that in urtext editions.  I think what was  really
going  on  was  that  the  "official" notation for minor hadn't quite
stabilized back then.  Bach and some others would use  a  dorian  key
signature  for  minor  at times, possibly depending on their feel for
which would use the fewer accidentals.  I've seen the same  thing  in
urtext  editions  of  Handel,  Quantz, Vivaldi and the Louillets, for
example. Our notions of the rules for classical key signatures really
weren't firm until around 1800 or so.