On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:03:23PM +0100, Phil Taylor wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >There are to supported syntaxes:
> >[A] K:<tonic><mode> <accidentals>
> >[B] K:<tonic> <accidentals>
>
> This is actually a bit counterintuitive, since
>
> K:D
>
> means D major (= 2 sharps)
>
> while
>
> K:D ^f
>
> means D mix (= 1 sharp)
>
> Not that there are many tunes about currently which use global accidentals,
> but the second interpretation of the symbol D breaks the old standard.

Yes. The least necessary change would be to require explicit Dmaj, which
would label a bare D as tonic. But all of this breaks with what's
Already Out There.

> If the symbol D is to be interpreted in a new way (i.e. as tonic, rather
> than as a D major key signature) I'd rather it was explicitly labelled as
> such, i.e.
>
> K: tonic=D ^f
>
> or some such.

As with Bryan's suggestion, I'd prefer to keep the simplicity of
searching for K:<tonic> to find all tunes that sit on <tonic>.

--
Richard Robinson