From: "Phil Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] ABC20-draft review
> Arent Storm wrote:
>
> >* ~ I always thought that ~ is used for a prall-trill by default.
> >Hardly anybody will know what an Irish-roll is (is it eatable?)
>
> I'll bet there are at least a hundred times as many abc users
> who know what an Irish Roll is as there are those who recognise
> what a prall-trill is.  Actually, I think the English word for it
> is Pralltriller, but most people would call it an upper mordent,
> and in abc it's normally represented by the letter P.
I have seen lots of ~  but rarely seen any P
Most musicians will know the ~ sign but most will call it
by different names; I see the ~ sign as the most common
embellishment-sign in any (folk)music I've seen

> The meaning of ~ is context-dependent.  In classical music
> it will mean a turn (that's what the symbol looks like), and in
> most places a turn symbol in the staff notation will be correct.
> What kind of twiddle gets played depends on the tradition that
> the music comes from.
Agree

> >* clefs:
> >Is "K: Am transpose=-2 " illegal where "K: Am treble transpose=-2 " is not
>
> No.  transpose (or t=) is a directive which affects only playing and
> has nothing to do with clefs, so both are legal.
I meant illegal in the sense of the draft spec.

> >''clef'' starts the specication (I'd rather like to see clef=clefname than
clef
> >alone
>
> Why?  The clef names "treble", "alto", "tenor" and "bass" are all unique
> identifiers which can't mean anything but a clef, so clef= is redundant.
> More complicated clef specifications should use the clef= syntax though.
It makes the use of the K: field for at least anything other than key
more readable / parseable / orthogonal

> >*voices
> > state that all voices to be mentioned in the abc-body have to be declared
> > in the header when using the [V:ID] syntax, where each ID will be
> > referenced over and over.
> It's good practice, but I don't see why it should be mandatory.
To enable software to flag possible typo's when you have
<header>
V:First
V:Second
V:Third
[V:Fisrt] <someoabcline2>
[V:Second]<someabcline3>
[V:Third]<someabcline>
What should a program do on encounter of [V:Fisrt]
with or without the header.

Arent