Richard Robinson writes:
| On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:48:04PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
| >
| > On the other hand, when I first tried  transcribing  some  Zwiefacher
| > tunes,  I also discovered that abc2ps accept M:23/44 and did the, uh,
| > "Right Thing" with it, too.  I was appalled!
| >
| > ;-)
|
| laughter.
|
| I suppose the bug will have to be fixed, now it's been mentioned ?

Not so far.  We did have at least one discussion of the Right Way  to
handle such things. I think the general concensus was that the syntax
should be:

M:2/4,3/4

This would be drawn in the obvious way, with the time signatures next
to each other (and a slight space between).  Software that checks bar
lengths should accept any of the listed lengths, and give  a  warning
for others.

If this were implemented in the major abc apps, I'd be quite happy to
change  my  tunes to match it.  But as far as I know, nobody has done
it.

For those who wonder what the hell we're  talking  about:   The  term
"Zwiefacher"  refers  to  a  Bavarian  folk  dance  that is a jumbled
mixture of 3/4 (waltz) and 2/4 (pivot) steps.  Each tune has its  own
pattern.  The patterns range from trivial to insanely complex.  There
are several ways of notating the bar lengths in the music. Some music
has a new meter every time it changes.  But some musicians think this
is cluttered, and just put multiple time sigs at the very  beginning.
Some don't bother with a time sig at all, but just write "Zwiefacher"
at the top as a warning.

Some of them correct the spelling to "Zweifacher". But I think native
speakers  of  Bayrisch will sneer at this.  In this subject area, any
attempt at seriousness loses you points.

To see some examples, look in:
  http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Intl/
Scroll down to the bottom, to the Zwie_*.abc  files.   One  that  our
international dance crowd likes to hear in December is
  http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Intl/Zwie_SilentNight.abc
This  isn't  exactly  the  original  form of this tune.  It should be
played in a loud, boisterous, German oom-pa-band style.

You can clutter your abc with [M:3/4] and so on in  every  other  bar
(as I did in that tune). Or you can try to put the multiple meters at
the beginning.  Currently, M:23/44 or M:34/44 is the only thing  that
does this reliably.  This works fine with abc2ps and clones.  But you
can probably imagine what some other abc programs think of it.

Some software does implement M:none, for  the  no-time-sig  approach.
But  that  totally turns off all bar checking, so it's not really the
right solution if you like software to do this checking for you.  And
this music isn't free meter at all.  It has very strong, strict bars.
They just aren't all the same length.

Anyway, it's good for a bit of evil laughter now and then.