Neil Jennings writes:
| Problem is that the 'independent format' needs to accommodate all
| functionality required from all formats.
| I don't think MusicXML fits the bill yet. It doesn't seem to support some of
| the constructs that I need (unless I have missed something).
|
| Agree that when we have a 'Universal Music format' then this would be the
| preferred approach.

This is one of the standard problems with "universal"  data  formats.
The  people who design such formats usually seem to miss a lot of the
information that is in other formats, or decide that such information
isn't needed.

The graphics world has  some  good  examples.   Thus,  you  can  find
programs that convert formats like PS, PDF, HTML, and other annotated
formats into GIF or JPEG. The result may look the same on the screen.
But  when you try to do the reverse conversion, you discover that GIF
and  JPEG  really  just  represent  pixels,  and  lack  aany  of  the
structural  information  about  the  picture's  components  (letters,
words, paragraphs, etc.).  So JPEG -> PDF really can't be done at all
correctly.

We've seen the same sort of thing with music, when people attempt  to
use MIDI as a "universal" format.  But MIDI doesn't need to represent
things like bar lines or meter, because these aren't needed  to  play
the music correctly. So a conversion of MIDI to other notations needs
to guess at where the bar lines go.

One of the problems that I think I've seen in my occasional looks  at
MusicXML  is that it permits the representation of music as a pile of
isolated notes, with no clues as to their structure. If you have this
sort  of  MusicXML, there's no way you can extract things like voices
from it.  This  is  a  traditional  problems  with  a  lot  of  piano
"reductions"  of  music,  of  course, and it would prevent generating
usable abc from the XML.  You could only convert to abc when the  XML
contains the key, meter, and voice information that abc needs. And if
the XML came from MIDI, you might have the voice lines, but you would
probably not have the key, meter and bar-line info.

It's possible that MusicXML could be  used  as  an  intermediary  for
other  music notations.  But the users of those other notations would
have to work out a standard way of converting  to  MusicXML  so  that
none  of  the  original information (key/time signatures, voices, bar
lines, etc.) would be lost.  This is probably a non-trivial task,  as
it  would  take  cooperation of the people developing all other music
packages.  In some cases, it couldn't ever work,  because  the  input
language simply lacks something that the output language requires.

 <:#/> John Chambers
   +   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  / \  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>