Hmmm, I hadn't considered this, but it does make sense, and, with a
huge caveat, it would be simple.

On my system, linux running with KDE, I'd just set up a keymapping
for a mythical language called abc, and then install it instead of
the real languages (like French or Ukranian) that KDE comes with.
Then the magic keys would switch me between abc and english.

What you say, you don't use linux or KDE?  Ah yes, that's the problem.
Keymapping is dependent upon the OS and windowing system, and ain't
portable.  But see if your OS supports multiple languages and if you
can set up your own.

--
     Ali Corbin                        /, |_  __(_) ___  _ __