Bernard Hill writes:

| Much music in the UK is printed on B4 paper, or close to it...
|
| I don't think there should be any standard for paper size - you should
| be allowed to specify your own.

Good idea in general.  For example, I've  been  contacted  by  a  few
people  involved  in  such things as marching bands and other similar
music.  These typically use  a  small  music-holder  "lyre"  on  many
instrument. There is a bit of variability in the paper size, but it's
much smaller than the usual A4 and letter pages, for obvious reasons.
I  don't  have  any  on  hand,  but  I think in the US it's about 6x4
inches, which would be 15x10 cm. And, since the music is fairly close
to the face, it can be smaller than for most other printed music. The
ability to specify both page size and  scaling  (as  abc2ps  and  its
clones do) is quite valuable for such uses.

Here in New England there are a number of groups who do Revolutionary
War reenactment groups who use this music format.  Further south, you
see the same thing at Civil War reenactments.  My  wife  and  I  have
played for both on various occasions.  She likes to tell people about
ancestors who fought in both wars and on on both sides. (They weren't
the same ancestors in both wars, of course.)