I. Oppenheim writes:
| On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
|
| > but is it possible to create an optional breath mark? (') ... paren's
| > around it?
|
| Unfortunately, this seems not to be possible with
| standard ABC. Either you could write some Postscript to
| define your own special symbol, or you could use a
| different symbol instead, like +plus+ to designate
| optional breaths.

Well, what I've done in the few cases that I want this is to  "abuse"
the  chord  notation.   Here's  a  somewhat  weird  test "tune" in my
abc-test collection, that uses both chord and ! notation, and  should
maybe be upgraded to use the + notation:

X: 1
T: TEST: Breath mark
N: Done by "abusing" the chord notation.
%%staffwidth 300
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: C
[| CDE "(,)"yFGA ","yBc2 | "//"ycBA "(')"yGFE "'"yDC2 |]
%
[| CDE !(,)!yFGA !,!yBc2 | !//!ycBA !(')!yGFE !'!yDC2 |]

I've tested this with the original abc2ps and  my  (jcabc2ps)  clone,
and the first staff produces exactly what I'd expect. The abc2ps that
I have doesn't understand the ! notation.

The real problem with abusing the chord notation like  this  is  that
you  can't  do  that  and also use chords.  But for a breath mark, it
probably doesn't matter, because with breath marks you  usually  want
the  small  space  that  the  y  pseudo-rest  gives, and this doesn't
interfere with attaching a chord to the following note.  And I  think
that  I  should  replace y with y/ throughout, because the space is a
bit wider than it needs to be.

(I wonder how many abc tools understand the x and y "rests"?)