Jack Campin writes:

| One problem: what if you want to mix character sets in a tune? -
| e.g. to have a Chinese song documented in English? (T: and w:
| fields in Chinese, N: and D: fields in English).

What  I'd  more  likely  want  to  do  is:  three  T: fields (Chinese
characters,  pinyin,  and  English),  one  C:  line  (characters  and
pinyin), and two or three w: lines.

Even more fun is the trad Yiddish/Hebrew/Arabic music, where you want
the  original (left-right), a transliteration (right-left), and maybe
an English set of words at times.  This is easy  inside  a  computer,
where  all alphabets have the same order (byte 0, 1, 2, ...) but it's
not always easy to find a really good layout on screen or paper.

There's a semi-standard way to do left-right music  with  the  lyrics
underneath  with  each  syllable in right-left form.  It's painful to
read, but you get used to it.  Of course, all of these languages have
been  printed  with the music in mirror-image form for centuries, but
that doesn't help when you want the lyrics in two different alphabets
that go in different directions.

It's probably good that the  Greeks  dropped  their  zig-zag  writing
scheme before modern music notation was developed ...