> I'm not familiar with Curwen sol-fa. It sounds interesting. I gather
> from your description that it relies on computer typography. I suppose
> I'm more interested at the moment in simple alphanumeric notations,
> but I'd like to look into Curwen later.

It's a 19th century system, designed for movable lead type.  I haven't
seen any computer-set examples of it.  It would be easy enough to do in
TeX.  The New Grove has a good article on it.

What would be really useful would be to replicate what some songbooks
do, putting the sol-fa for the tune above the staff so that singers
could choose which notation they wanted.  It turns out to be a real
bugger to even get an ASCII approximation to that - you need a lot of
punctuation signs in between notes, and ABC likes to align guitar
chords or words against specific notes so you have nothing to anchor
this stuff to.  I tried to do the wild Nigerian hymn example from the
New Grove "Notation" article and gave up.