On 30 Jul 2004, at 13:34, John Chambers wrote:

| In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Chambers
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
| >I hope you've found the FreeTTS project.
|
| Yes. Although we haven't tested it yet for various reasons.

And, to make it relevant to  this  group,  you'll  have  to  start  a
sub-project  to control the length and pitch of each syllable, so you
can write a program that takes abc files with words and sings them in
any of the available voices.

(For those who wonder what I'm talking about, FreeTTS is  an  project
that's  producing  an open-source text-to-speech package, all written
in java.)

Myriad, the people who make Melody/Harmony assistant are working on a browser plugin which displays, plays and even sings MusicXML. There's a mock-up demo of it here: <http://www.myriad-online.com/misc/forum/testmusicxml/> (You'll have to download the plugin, but it seems fairly automatic.)

Since they already have code to import abc, I wonder if they'll be
making this capable of handling our format?

Phil Taylor