Hudson Lacerda wrote:

It seems that you coded a line continuation similar to those of bash or C

That's what I did. Continuation gets reported (a T_CONTINUE event) and the scanner stays in the same state.

[V:1] abcde \
[V:2] ABCDE \
[V:1] cdedc
[V:2] CDEDC

is equivalent to:

[V:1] abcde cdedc
[V:2] ABCDE CDEDC

but not to:

[V:1] abcde [V:2] ABCDE
[V:1] etc.

That's difficult! Neither the 1.6 nor the 2.0 draft mentioned it! :(
Do you mean that continuations should be treated as "continuation within a voice"? I hope not, it really would be difficult to handle.

I hope many others will provide their comments about this issue so to reach a consesus on this topic.

I intended to solve the issue treating

ABC | def |\
M:1/4
gab |]

as if it was:

ABC | def | [M:1/4] \
gab |]

but your example would prevent me to do so!

Another case (rare, though) is when the meter is changed very often.

That one works good for me, every single element in your example get recognized properly.

R:D