Calum,

On 7 Nov 2005 at 16:43, Calum Galleitch wrote:

> After tackling piobaireachd, this should be easy, but I can't see how to fix
> it (using abcm2ps-3.7.9, can't see any mentions in changelogs):
>
> M:2/4
> L:1/16
> K:HP % or a normal key, for that )matter
> AB{g}cd A>B{g}c<d
>
> The first group of four is fully beamed together; the second one has only one
> beam connecting the first two notes to the second two.  For pipers, that's a
> very odd way of notating it, and as far as I know for everyone else too.
> Fully beamed where possible is much easier for me to read, or at least it's
> what I'm used to.

The latest version of abcm2ps (4.12.0) finally has a seemingly complete
solution to this problem, not in the form of typesetting rule (like
%%halfbeam, which has been removed, and which was causing the behaviour
you describe), but in the form of "decorations" that can be inserted in
problematic beam groups to break the beams appropriately and get the
beam stubs to point in what you and I might consider the correct
direction.

Here's my test file:

%%pageheight 11in
%%pagewidth 8.5in
%%stretchlast 1

X:1
T:beambr test 2/4
C:
M:2/4
L:1/16
K:HP
%%text halfbeam discontinued and +beambr1+ and +beambr2+
%%text implemented in 4.12.0
%%vskip 1cm
%%text with no beambr2:
AAAA A>AA>A | A<AAA A>AAA | A<AA>A "wrong"A>AA<A | "wrong"A<AA<A AAAA |
%%text corrected with beambr2:
AAAA A>AA>A | A<AAA A>AAA | A<AA>A A>A+beambr2+A<A | A<A+beambr2+A<A
AAAA |

U:~=!beambr1!

X:1
T:beambr test C|
C:
M:C|
L:1/8
K:HP
%%text halfbeam discontinued and +beambr1+ and +beambr2+
%%text implemented in 4.12.0
%%vskip 1cm
%%text with no beambr1:
AAAA A>AA>A | A<AAA A>AAA | A<AA>A "wrong"A>AA<A | "wrong"A<AA<A AAAA |
%%text corrected with beambr1:
AAAA A>AA>A | A<AAA A>AAA | A<AA>A A>A!beambr1!A<A | A<A+beambr1+A<A
AAAA |
%%text corrected with ~ defined as beambr1:
AAAA A>AA>A | A<AAA A>AAA | A<AA>A A>A~A<A | A<A~A<A AAAA |

cheers,
e.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM