The doc Gil mentioned describes how to track change as it happens.  There is
also metadata that is stored with every object that contains a brief change
log history for each object (stored in the replPropertyMetaData attribute).
You can view the metadata for an object using tools like repadmin or
replmon.  For example:

C:\>repadmin /showmeta cn=administrator,cn=users,dc=mycorp,dc=com

Loc.USN Originating DC                Org.USN Org.Time/Date       Ver
Attribute
======= ===============               ======= =============       ====
=======
24684   Default-First-Site-Name\DC1   24684   2002-11-26 06:05:05 1    mail
20548   Default-First-Site-Name\DC1   20548   2002-11-15 17:12:05 1
lastLogonTimestamp

With metadata you can answer questions about when, where and what changes
occurred to an object.  Well you actually don't get the full story with what
changed because only the attribute name that changed is stored, not the
values that changed.  I asked Stuart at DEC if they could answer the who
question by adding the writer GUID to the metadata, which would be the
object guid of the security principal that made the change.  I also think it
would be nice if the what question could also be fully answered in the
metadata by providing the before and after values of the changed attribute
(there are certain ramifications to this though).

There are a couple other issues that impair the use of metadata, namely it
is stored in binary format and not easily parsable unless using Microsoft
API's.  And since it is in binary, you can't search it.  For more info on
the API:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/netdir/ad/ds_repl_obj_meta_data.asp

Microsoft did include "Detailed transaction logging" on the questionnaire
they provided at DEC as one of the features they are considering for the
next release of AD (after .NET).  I'm not sure what it would look like, but
I believe Stuart said they where thinking it would be file-based.

Robbie Allen

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netdir/ad/p
olling_for_changes_using_the_dirsync_control.asp

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm