Hi Alan,

How would you define "intensive"?  I've not seen any way to do query-based
user-specific rate-limiting in AD.  The closest thing is the LDAP query
policy, but that is probably not what you were looking for (Q315071).
Object quotas are new as of .NET AD, but only apply to limiting the number
of objects created, not queried.

We've encountered this issue quite frequently as well.  A lot of vendors
tend to prefer sucking out data from AD and storing it locally in a DB as
opposed to doing real-time queries.  And even though there are a few
different ways to track changes in AD
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netdir/ad/
overview_of_change_tracking_techniques.asp), each method has issues and most
find it easier to just do periodic dumps.

Another issue on this front is simply identifying when clients are
performing these intensive queries.  We do real-time monitoring on the LDAP
and DS counters in the NTDS perfmon object and alert when they reach certain
thresholds (I can provide the thresholds if people are interested).  In some
cases we've had to resort to running netmon for extended periods of time to
track down the offender.  What I'd really like to see is a log of all LDAP
queries and parameters, client IP, query duration, and number of entries
returned.  Most other directory servers have this capability and it is
extremely helpful especially post-incident.  The "LDAP Interface Events"
diagnostics logging (Q220940) provides some of this data, but not all.  Here
is an example event:

Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   NTDS LDAP
Event Category: LDAP Interface