Title: Message

Sorry I didn’t realize you were doing an “inplace” upgrade of the domain.

I was suggesting using a separate name space (thus a separate netbios name) for migration.

Here is a Q article that suggest you might have to any way:

Cannot Use Same NetBIOS Name When You Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0 Domain to a Windows 2000 Domain (288443)

*       Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP1

*       Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP2

*       Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1

*       Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2

*       Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP4

*       Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP5

*       Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6

*       Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a

SYMPTOMS

When you upgrade a Windows NT 4.0 primary domain controller (PDC) to a Windows 2000 domain controller (DC) by using the same NetBIOS and DNS name, the Active Directory Wizard generates the following error message:

The name "domain name.com" is already in use on this network. Type a name that is not in use.

For example, this could occur if your Windows NT 4.0 domain name was testdomain.com and your Windows 2000 domain name was also testdomain.com.

RESOLUTION

Before you upgrade, change the NetBIOS name so that it is not the same as the Windows 2000 domain name.

Also look at this article too:

Cannot Alter Down-Level Domain Name During Upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 (240156)