From: Carr, Jonathan (OFT) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 6:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Password change issue

OK here it is...

PDC emulator at a central site.
DC at a remote site connected to Central site VIA a WAN link
have Bridgehead with scheduled replication to remote sites
Have GP that has  strong password , Max password life 90 days, Min password
life 1 days

User contacts help desk because they forgot password (password was old123$)
and locked their acct
Helpdesk at Central site reset acct and password (newpassword new123$)and ck
box to have user change password at next logon
User logs in with password (new123$) from Help Desk
        The local Dc does a Pass thru authentication to the PDC emulator
which returns a authentication packet to the client PC
User gets "Must change password" Dialog box
        In the dialog box the old password is automatically back filled with
the password (new123$) he logon with
User enter new password (newer123$)and confirms it.
When the user tries to finalize the change password he get blow out by old
password not correct.
                the local dc is trying to commit the password change
If the user enters his original password (old123$)(kind of tuff cause he
forgot it that is why he called the help desk in the first place) in the old
password box and enters a new one (newer123$) He is ok and allowed to go
foward.

This is really strange  I Know why it happens.

If you force replication thru out the domain before the user logs on this
does not happen but that would be a no no in this place.

If change the password on the PDC emulator and the local dc it does not
happen.

anyone got a valid reason why the client pc does this??