From: ml.adlist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 3:37 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] DNS Lookup Problem - Windows 2003

I may be using the wrong terminology to explain what I am trying to do. What
I need it to do is for any domain request that the server receives that it
is not hosting, walk the tree through the root zones on to the correct DNS
server and find the answer. The Windows 2000 DNS is doing this for
everything. The Windows 2003 DNS is not, which is what stumps me. We use PIX
firewalls, no proxies. If the internal DNS is shut down, you can't get
anything at all.

I just tried it again and got a very odd result. I setup my workstation to
only use one of my DNS servers. I then set that DNS server to not forward to
my external servers, restarted the dns service and cleared its cache. Then I
did a nslookup against it to bestbuy.com. I got replies for www.bestbuy.com,
and using 'set type=mx" for bestbuy.com got the mx records. Without changing
any settings I did the same to aol.com and it timed out with no reply (like
most of the domains). I then did the same with the server set to forward to
my external DNS and got a instant reply. Below is the output.

Default Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

> www.bestbuy.com
Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    a1103.gc.akamai.net
Addresses:  208.254.0.17, 208.254.0.32
Aliases:  www.bestbuy.com, www.bestbuy.com.edgesuite.net

> set type=mx
> bestbuy.com
Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

bestbuy.com     MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = tag5.bestbuy.com
bestbuy.com     MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = tag6.bestbuy.com
tag5.bestbuy.com        internet address = 205.215.216.98
tag6.bestbuy.com        internet address = 198.22.123.162
> aol.com
Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to atldc2.summitmg.com timed-out

Below is after I set it to forward to my other server.

> aol.com
Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

Non-authoritative answer:
aol.com MX preference = 15, mail exchanger = mailin-04.mx.aol.com aol.com MX
preference = 15, mail exchanger = mailin-01.mx.aol.com aol.com MX preference
= 15, mail exchanger = mailin-02.mx.aol.com aol.com MX preference = 15, mail
exchanger = mailin-03.mx.aol.com

mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.136.153
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.121
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.152
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.89
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.152
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 152.163.224.122
mailin-04.mx.aol.com    internet address = 205.188.156.154
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.89
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.184
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.57
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.152
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 152.163.224.26
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 205.188.156.122
mailin-01.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.136.57
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.120
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.136.89
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.136.121
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.89
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.137.184
mailin-02.mx.aol.com    internet address = 64.12.138.89
> www.aol.com
Server:  atldc2.summitmg.com
Address:  10.100.x.x

Non-authoritative answer:
www.aol.com     canonical name = www.gwww.aol.com

I am REALLY confused now. It seems to be hit or miss, but misses the largest
sites and jambs up email as a result.

Miles