Title: Message
Can and should may be two different things here.

Can you do what you say?  Yes.  Each node runs independently of the others in terms of applications.  The degree of difficulty is way up because you have to design with the idea that a node can run all or any mixture of apps depending on failover.  That brings up compatibility issues that have to be taken into account.  I'm assuming you're considering a 3x4 where three are active and one is passive to handle the failover, so the chances could be worthwhile that you'll never have to worry about running the SQL DB, the jobs, and the query instance all on the same server at the same time (or a variation of that). A situation could exist that would however allow all those apps to failover to the single machine at the same time and that might be a reason not to cluster.

Maybe you could get what you're after with a SQL cluster (2 machine) and then separate machines or even a 2 node cluster for the other functions?

From: Chris Flesher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Cluster service in 2003

I have a question about how clustering works in general, but specifically 2003. We are wanting to have a 4 node cluster. However, what I'm not sure of is can you have three machines running different functions/apps on them have failover capability to another machine with the "cluster"? There would be a SQL DB machine, a seperate jobs machine that runs jobs related to the SQL DB machine, and a query machine that would have point-in-time info from SQL in order to run reports. I want to know if this configuration can exist in a cluster together and have failover capability to one machine in the cluster???

Sorry for the confusing email. As always, Thank you in advance. You guys are a great resource.

Chris Flesher
The University of Chicago
NSIT/DCS
1-773-834-8477