Title: Message
Are you using the domain name when using your login name, i.e. domain\username?
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 31 March 2004 15:21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Windows 2003 and Windows 98 issue

Hi all and greetings from darkest South Africa.

This is my first query to the guru’s on the list. This is my scenario.

I have a native mode Windows 2000 forest that I’m upgrading to Windows 2003. It’s a single domain forest and this is what I’ve done so far.

1 ) Run adprep /forestrpep to upgrade the schema.

2.) Run adprep /domainprep to prepare the domain.

3.) Installed Windows 2003 server as domain member. This is not the first 2003 server in the domain.

4.) DCPROMO the new Windows 2003 server.

The moment step 4 happens none of my Windows 98 machines can login to the domain. I get an error message that The password is incorrect or access to logon server has been denied.

After reading through the sparse documentation I installed the DSCLIENT2003 that I got from PSS as well as IE 6.0 SP1 and turned on NTLMV2 authentication and turned off SMB signing on the DC’s. None of these steps made any difference. The moment I demoted the Windows 2003 DC to a member server the problem disappeared. I’ve not gone any further with the process since then,

Do any of you guys have any ideas? I’m accelerating the process to upgrade the Win98 machines to XP but I don’t want the issue to hold up my domain upgrade. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Peter Johnson

privileged material. Any use (including retransmission or copying)
of this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer. The sender is not responsible for the
completeness or accuracy of this communication as it has been
transmitted over a public network. Any replies to this email may be
monitored by the MCPS-PRS Alliance for quality control and other
purposes.