When you install services for Macintosh and create a Macintosh accessible volume, two files are automatically created. One is a Mac readable text file that tells you how to install the other file which is a Microsoft compatible logon module. This add-on supports LanMan style encrypted logons (14 char max). Otherwise, Macs do cleartext logons.

The above is true for Macs OS versions prior to OS X

Also see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328417

From: Creamer, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 12:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Mac clients & passwords

I have zero experience with Macs, but we now have a few in our design dept. Our domain is Windows 2000, and the Macs are using only TCP/IP to participate on the network, no Appletalk. The users say they don’t get notified when their AD password expires, and then when it does expire, they have to go find a Windows PC to change it. Is there software I can install on the AD and/or client side to alleviate this problem? Also, is it accurate that passwords are transmitted in clear text from a Mac client to a Windows resource?

Thanks!

Mark Creamer

Systems Engineer

Cintas Corporation

Honesty and Integrity in Everything We Do