Here is a link to a VBscript that will do this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/compmgmt/scrcm31.mspx

As mentioned, it only works with Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 boxes.

From: rpuckett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 2:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Joining Workstations to our domain

Mark,

If you boxes are working with Windows XP, there are a few scripting options available to you that can help with this.  WMI's Win32_ComputerSystem class supports a method called JoinDomainOrWorkgroup, that will allow you to programmatically join systems to a target domain.  You could use this function in conjunction with a validation script that a.) checks for an active network connection, b.) checks for the availability of a Domain Controller prior to activating the join process.  It could even be used to send prompts to users like, "hey, plug yer box in!" before firing off a join request.  You could also add in a few ADSI calls to add Domain groups/users to local groups to complete the process.

If you are still running Windows 2000, there are associated Win32 APIs (NetJoinDomain) that can be used with compiled languages like VB/C++ to generate simple domain join utilities that can also be leveraged by scripts or written to encompass the functions referenced above.  This is what we did here to get around the remote build process/domain join dilemma.

Hope this helps,

Richard