Title: [ActiveDir] Group Policy at the Site Level With Remote VPN Users - Wrong Site Applied

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 10:32 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Group Policy at the Site Level With Remote VPN Us ers - Wrong Site Applied

Darren - Thanks very much for your suggestion. It didn't solve the issue, but it did provide some keywords that helped in further Google searches.

Part of the cause ended up being discarding of large ICMP packets by our Cisco VPN Concentrator. In preparation for processing Group Policy, workstations send a series of ping packets to a domain controller that have payloads of both 0 and 2048 bytes. The 0 byte packets got through fine, but the 2048 byte packets got dropped because they are larger than the MTU and are thus fragmented. These pings are used to determine if you have a slow link or fast link. Enabling fragmented packets to pass the VPN Concentrator did the trick, and now Site GPs are being applied along with other GPs.

I still have no clue why the GP processing ended up pulling the logon script from a different site. My suspicion is that the slow link processing code doesn't know how to cleanly deal with failed responses from only some of the ping packets. Whoever coded this section may have assumed that either all would succeed and return a response time value or none would succeed. This is only speculation because the Userenv.log file didn't reflect any processing of group policy even though it clearly had occurred.

When I have a few minutes I plan on submitting a detailed write-up to MyITForum so that others will hopefully benefit from our research. Even knowing most of the answers I couldn't find anything covering this situation in the KB articles. Thanks again!

Jeff