Here is a (cheap hack) way:

copy the text below to a script:

'----------------------------------------------------
set events = getobject("winmgmts:\\.").ExecNotificationQuery("select * from
__instancedeletionevent within 2 where targetinstance isa 'win32_process'
and targetinstance.name = 'notepad.exe'")

Do
set NTevent = events.nextevent
If Err <> 0 then
msgbox "it was not = to 0"
else
msgbox "Notepad was closed"
exit do
end if
Loop

'----------------------------------------------------

Now start the script "monitor.vbs"
Now start notepad.
Wait for some random time.. close notepad.exe

You should get a popup - change this to whatever action you deem necessary.

For your situation you change  notepad.exe to  your app.
Note that you can do this to a remote machine as well... substitute the
machine name like so:

("winmgmts:\\mymachine")

This is a polling process so there is some minor overhead.

-steve