From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony Murray
Sent: Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2004 13:23
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Replication of linked attributes between domain and sub-domain

Post in haste....repent at leisure....

I've said "member" (more than once) below when I should have said "manager".

Wrom: DXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZ
Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:48:33 -0400

Mmmh. I believe this is where the Infrastructure Master comes into the picture.  I'm a
bit rusty, but here goes.

The IM is responsible for maintaining references from objects in it's own domain to
objects in other domains.  We know that member (forward) and directReports (backward)
are examples of linked attributes.  We also know that only the member attribute value
is replicated between GCs.  This makes sense, because when you query for the
directReports the value is calculated on-the-fly.  Back to the IM.  The IM
periodically updates the references (using phantom records in the directory database)
and replicates any changes to DCs in its domain.  This is the process that allows you
to see, e.g. local group memberships, directReports, etc. that contain values from
other domains. So there there will be a delay between the time that you create the
forward/backward link and the time that you will be able to query the directReports
value (if the values are DNs from a different domain).

I'm not sure how often the IM cycles (I seem to remember 8 hours, but I could well be
wrong).  You may have to simply wait.  Let us know what happens.  In the meantime,
some of the list gurus may be able to offer a better explanation?

Also, ensure that your IM is not on a GC as this may prevent you from seeing the
directReports entries from the other domain.  Of course if all the DCs in the domain
are also GCs this will not be an issue.

Tony

Wrom: LPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFM
Date:  Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:17:13 +0200

Thanks Tony !

But, I don't query the Global Catalog but the whole directory itself.
I connect the DC of the "titi.com" domain to see the "usertiti" user and I connect the
DC of the "toto.titi.com" domain to see the "usertoto" user.

Is it so because "toto.titi.com" is a sub-domain of "titi.com" ?