From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] GPO - File and Printer Sharing.

Hey Rick...

You can turn off the server service, even with a GPO, but then no one gets
there, not even admins...as far as i know.

It's a bit awkwards...but, in computer configuration/windows
settings/security settings/local policies/user rights assignments/deny
access to this computer from the network

You can specify a global group in there.....It's actually the opposite of
what you want.  I think they can create shares, but group members can't get
to them.

I really think this was an oversight from MS on the Group Policies....I've
mentioned it to them several times.  I seem to remember you could do this
with NT, and a system policy.

John

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Darren Mar-Elia"      |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           om>                    |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           tivedir.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           06/22/2004 12:58 PM    |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           ActiveDir              |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

-------------------------------------|

  |       To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  RE: [ActiveDir] GPO - File and Printer Sharing.

Rick-
No way that I know of to do this from GPO. The challenge is that its a
bunch of binary reg keys that get messed with when you turn this on or
off--per connection. I did a quick look through netsh and didn't see any
commands there, but I may have missed it. Alternatively, if you want to
shut it down completely, I think you can still turn off the Server service,
which was the way to do it in NT 4. Probably need to test that though.

Darren