You're skipping several important steps. MS has a good step by step
guide at:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=325379

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pennell, Ronald
B.
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 9:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Adding a Windows 2003 server into a windows 2000
domain

Quick question.

I want to add a new windows 2003 server into my windows 2000 domain.
I will also want to add this as an additional domain controller to start
with.

When do I do the dcpromo on the windows 2003 server to make it a domain
controller?

After I run forestprep and domainprep on my windows 2000 domain? Or
after I do the dcpromo on the win 2003 server?  The win2000 server is
also the schemea master.

Eventually, the win2003 DC will take over all the FSMO roles and the
win2000 server will go away.

Ron

Ronald B. Pennell
Senior Network Systems Analyst