From: Tony Murray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 7:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Renaming the Administrator account

Anything that specifically uses the domain Administrator account by name
should be taken out and shot.

You should have no problems with renaming the account.

Here's something from Microsoft which suggests (as you do) that it would
be a best practice.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/topics/issues/w2kccscg/w2kscgc
d.mspx

Tony
Wrom: LSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPN
Date:  Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:37:48 -0400

I have always renamed the default Administrator account on every system
build I have performed for security reasons.

I did the same on the domain but was then scolded by a more experienced
AD Administrator.  The reason given to me was because there are parts of
AD that authenticate or use the SID of the administrator account while
other areas may use the "Administrator" username explicitly.  If I were
to rename the default Administrator account then those references that
call the username explicitly may fail.

I am still new to AD so I took the above warning with caution and
therefore renamed the default user back to its original settings.

I would appreciate anyone's input on the above.  I would like to rename
the Administrator account as part of best practices but if it may cause
problems then of course this would not be an option.  However, I have a
hard time understanding why renaming the account could cause potential
problems.  I would think that any reference to the Administrator account
would be made by the SID and if any call to the username itself was
made, it would access a database that was populated with the correct
information as it was changed.

The only information I have about renaming the account is above.

Thank you all for your responses.

Edwin

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.activedir.org

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm