Well on the adam home page that Al pointed out is the Technical Reference document, this is a GREAT document on ADAM its really worth the read, trust me I know I wrote a few articles on ADAM and that document has pretty much everything you need to know

***Shout out to AL!!!***

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mulnick, Al
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 8:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] good books

Wouldn't hurt, but it is significantly different.

AD/AM is more of a subset of the same technology (think what a product would look like if we just took one feature from it and turned it into it's own product after removing the larger product dependencies) and therefore there are things that Active Directory can do that AD/AM won't. AD/AM is focused on providing a LDAP database; IMHO for developer's usage so they won't have to go use a *nix solution such as OpenLDAP (http://www.openldap.org for more information).

Once you have the hang of LDAP, AD/AM's included documents tell you a lot about the product and how to use it.  They just don't talk much about why you'd use it or what tools would make it easier to use.  They assume you already know that information.

A book would be nice to tie all of that together and put AD/AM in perspective.  It's a great product and there are many uses that make a lot of sense for many shops, whether they've come to that realization yet or not.  As an example I just got out of a beating about directory services and how they could help provide a foundation for solving a lot of other problems.  AD/AM could fit in that solution pretty well (along with other LDAP stores), whereas Active Directory has too much overhead.  The fact that they place well together is helpful, but not the focus from my perspective.

If you're going to pick an Active Directory book, Robbie Allen's book seems to get good reviews (on my list to read eventually I swear), as is Sakari Kouti & Mika Seitsonen's book (Inside Active Directory).

There's also an LDAP book written by Tim Howes that is pretty good (Understanding and deploying LDAP directories) and give some history and background on why you'd even want such a thing.  It's becoming a little outdated IMHO, but...

And of course, there's IBM's Redbook on the subject: http://tinyurl.com/22k6k (note, it's 6.5 mb and not a tremendous amount of pictures).

Of course, this is all my personal opinion.
-Al