Let's agree that there is no PDC/BDC concept. Now, if all you want to do is
get your Domain ready for when you will eventually move to 2003, then you
should just run the adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep in your domain
and wait. IF you want to get a win2K3 DC into the Domain now, then there is
this concept called WITO (hello, Joe :)). It's the "Walk In, Take Over"
principle. The Win2K3 will have to get the roles, at least the PDCE and the
Domain Naming master roles, otherwise your domain will not function
correctly, and many of the benefits of a Win2K3 Domain will NOT be available
to you. I have been able to get a win2K3 DC to install successfully into a
test domain without transferring the roles or upgrading the DC that
originally has these roles, but what I've heard and read is that is not
something you want to do in a production environment.

The people who taught me that (and wrote the book on that) are on this list.
They may be able to explain further.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services