-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charlie Kaiser
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 11:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Scripting question - Net Send command

We're porting our old intranet (NT4/IIS4) to a new server (W2K3/IIS6)
and have run into an authentication issue that I need some help with.
There's a legacy code chunk that does a net send command to create a
popup on a user's PC to tell them a new request has come in that they
need to deal with. I'd prefer that they used email for this, but
apparently checking email regularly is too much trouble for them. They
want a pop-up. :-)
The problem is that we can't get Net Send to launch properly. Here's the
distilled code:
<%
  dim oWSH
  Set oWSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  oWSH.Run "NET SEND " & "test4" & " testing."
%>
That is embedded into an ASP file, which is run by a user connecting to
a webpage stored on the new IIS server. The rest of the script includes
some authentication procedures that identify the logged on user and
allow or deny page access based on AD Group membership.

If I run it from my workstation, with my admin credentials, it runs
fine. If I run it from a PC logged in as a standard user, we get
"Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046' Permission denied
/CNK/ww2.asp, line 4".

Is there a way to:
1. Force the net send command to securely run as a different user
without exposing elevated credentials?
2. Use a different method to create the popup window?

Thanks for any help...