-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:44 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] GC

This configuration kind of scares me. The question that keeps bubbling to
the surface is why why why why?

Sites are used to define well connected networks. This is both for
replication and for resource location services by clients looking for
resources. It sounds like you have a case where all DCs would be considered
equal to all clients but you are forcing them to only be able to use certain
DCs because they can only reach those. I would expect that the clients get
confused every now and then and work less than optimimally. I expect
watching network traces on your network for a while would be quite
entertaining.

Personally I would tend to say, rip out the filters, if you have high
connectivity between all of these DCs then they should be in one site and
there should be no network filters in place. However before I would
recommend that to a customer, I would really need to understand why they are
doing what they are doing and what they think they are getting out of it.
You might have an amazingly good reason for doing this that isn't
immediately apparent.

On the Exchange topic, I think this is secondary to getting your network
topology straightened out. However, I dislike the idea of hard coding which
GCs Exchange uses, it can bite you as people often forget it is being done.
If someone wants to do that, I tend to recommmend that they create an
Exchange specific site and throw the Exchange servers and the Exchange GCs
into that site. Exchange can and will reach out of that site, but it will
tend to stay within it. It just makes the overall architecture more clear in
my opinion without having to dig into specifics. If you stop doing the VLAN
filtering I would then enable all DCs to be GCs. Then if you still have
Exchange issues, start working them individually and possibly find more
unusual design decisions.

As previously mentioned, a lot of Exchange failover is actually Outlook
failover which varies radically based on the client rev. Some versions of
outlook never fail over and you have to stop the client and restart it so it
will reask the Exchange server for a GC. Some will failover once it detects
a GC is unavailable. Exchange itself can be a little hokey, I have seen
cases where it gets confused (E2K) and won't start failing over properly for
30 minutes. This is why it is critical to keep Exchange GCs generally
running well.

With WINS there was a subnet affinity built into the name resolution
process, a client would choose the IP address that was in the same subnet as
the client for any names it resolved that had multiple IP addresses. DNS is
not like this. It takes the first IP address returned and uses it unless it
can't reach it and then it uses the next and next, etc. It is up to the
server to return the addresses in some specific order. I haven't done a lot
of traces of Windows DNS servers but the general Bind/QIP configuration I
have seen is to round robin the addresses returned.