From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Almeida Pinto, Jorge de
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 3:58 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Intra-forest migration

I'm digging into my memory right now and the answer concerning profiles when doing an intra forest migration is (at least I think so, don't remember exactly)

ADMT will translate profiles if needed. However, using ADMT with an intra forest migration (as I said before) of user accounts will delete the user account in the source domain and create a new one in the target domain. Why is the source user deleted? Reason: The new target user account will have the same GUID as the source user and in a forest each user account MUST have a unique GUID. The target user will get a new sid and the old sid gets into sidhistory (if told so). So if you have windows 2000/xp/2003 clients there is not need to redirect (ACL translation still needed if you want to get rif of sidhistory in the end) the profile to the new user account because the pointer in the registry uses the GUID. If you have NT4 clients then you still must redirect the profiles

Cheers

#JORGE#