Rick,

Don't you mean the bridgehead server role instead of the ISTG? I think you were
saying: "As long as DCs on the static BH list are up, everything is OK. When
all DCs on the static list are for some reason unavailable the ISTG will not
choose other available DCs as new BHs as it will happen with auto BHs"

Must have been a very long con-call? Or do I need to get a lot of coffee? ;-))

For this to work you almost need to make a GC the BH and it also depends on
your site and replication topology. I have seen it happen in a W2K network
where DCs/GCs from domain A and B where in site X (configured with auto BHs)
and DCs/GCs from domain A and B and C where in site Y (configured with static
BHs from domain C). All DCs where also a GC. As Dean alreaday said, the ISTG in
site X whined and whined and whined there were no BH in site Y that could
replicate a WRITABLE partition for domain A and B although the DCs were
available. And a DC wil not replicate with a GC to replicate its own writable
partition and thus it still chose a non-BH DC from domain A and B and reported
that in the event-viewer. The solution is this case was to configure site Y
with auto BHs which was not an option because of the scalability issue with W2K
AD. the only solution left was to add at least one DC from domain A and B to
the static BH list from site Y

Cheers,
#JORGE#