Tom,

While I am sure that Rick has some document in which using LMHosts files
are identified as a best practice, I can assure you that it is quite
feasible to use WINS to accomplish the name resolution requirement for
the task at hand: creating an external trust between two domains with
different names explicitly for the purpose of migrating client systems
from one domain to another.  In fact I might suggest that in many cases
this is a better approach.  The Quest products will rely on name
resolution (as well as the trust) in order to migrate users, groups,
workstations, server and other resources between domains.  This name
resolution will in fact be even more important during the migration
process if users in one domain will need to access resources in the
other domain.  The existing WINS environment is already populated with
necessary records, and has all the information required to resolve the
names of DCs, resource servers, workstations, etc. in the existing
domain.  Assuming you have administrative control over the WINS server,
you can certainly configure WINS replication between a WINS server in
the new environment and one in the existing environment - and no, a
trust is not needed to make this work as WINS replication (and
resolution) is generally unauthenticated.

If you are planning to migrate your WINS servers to the new environment
I might argue that the best approach would be to migrate them first (one
by one verifying functionality as you go) to the new environment and
continue to point both old *and new systems* to the same WINS servers.
Of course this assumes, as stated previously, that you have
administrative control over the WINS servers.  This implementation
should avoid the need to use LMHost files or change primary/secondary
WINS assignments on migrated systems.  This is an approach I have used
many times when migrating between forests and between NT4 domains and AD
domains.

As for migrating without the availability of the root domain, you should
be "mostly" OK as the Quest representatives stated.  However without the
root being accessible and the _mscds DNS domain being unavailable, I
would certainly look to accelerate the migration as you should start
having replication even within your child domain(s).

Regards,

Aric