You’ve likely seen this, but it does describe ports needed for REPLICATION……  However, Steve does talk about the benefits of using IPSec through a firewall……

Rick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Adner
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Ports during authentication/logons...

It's been a few weeks, so time for another question on ports. MS's whitepaper that discusses how to setup AD to communicate through a firewall (the one that focuses primarily on DC to DC communication) lists the following ports needed to service "User Login and Authentication" and "Computer Login and Authentication":

445 TCP/UDP

88 TCP/UDP

389 UDP

53 TCP/UDP

(I would add ICMP for GPO processing.)

Most people who normally respond to "what ports are needed..." include 135.

I just ran a Netmon trace during a logon from an XP machine and do see some traffic hitting 135. I also see traffic hitting 137 and 139.

I'm not good at reading traces so I don't really know what's happening besides the basic traffic flow. Does anyone know what 135 (and 139 I

suppose) are being used for? And if they're blocked does it totally break everything or just limit certain functions? I am not worried about DC to DC communication. The scenario is member systems separated from DC's with a firewall and the network folks want to allow the absolute minimum ports.

Thx