Inline…….

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Cliffe
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:34 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Questions about hotfix 903235 (MS05-037)

Hi -

    I've posted this elsewhere, but thought maybe not a bad idea to run it past this list for those that don't mind (thanks).  I've seen the following behavior with regard to this hotfix 903235:

(1) The bulletin MS05-037 states to check here for its existence (post installation):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{03D9F3F2-B0E3-11D2-B081-006008039BF0}

  In the past, the 'norm' for IExpress-type patches has been here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{8ade8c02-8da6-4ec1-a9ee-ec00ff73ce98}

  [note: GUID above is specific to this hotfix]  Why this change in documentation?

[RTK]  Not a change in documentation.  The hotfix sets bits in the running of the actual component, so the compatibility flags are manipulated, rather than new moving parts.  I acknowledge that the location changes, but this is due to how the hotfix effects the installed component, JView Profiler.

(2) I find that the SRVINFO tool does NOT identify this hotfix on SP1 (XP) and SP4 (2000) machines.  Was expecting to see it under the "Internet Explorer 6" subheading of the SRVINFO output for these O/S.

[RTK] Can’t confirm or deny this one…..  Don’t have SRVINFO currently on anything

(3) I find that MBSA v.2  neither identifies it as installed nor identifies it as missing on SP1/2 (XP) and SP4 (2000) machines.

  Can anyone else corrorborate these findings?  I'm told by our TAM that nobody else has reported this yet.

[RTK]  MBSA on my systems detect that it is either installed or not installed.

Thanks!

-DaveC

Reuters IS&T Service Delivery

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit http://www.reuters.com/productinfo