Just for perspective, I can add another similar experience to Joe's.  The
difference was that the environment had >400 admins many of whom were unknown
to those that should have known; add to that that DA was a fluid concept there.
 I had one admin (who wasn't supposed to be) brag about how he would do what he
wanted by creating a new account, using it, and then deleting it to cover the
tracks.  I was there for Exchange, but because of the tight integration, the
administrative model/mess was a vulnerability and my recommendation was to fix
that prior to fixing anything with Exchange or any other application for that
matter.

It played out exactly as Joe predicts, only the body parts weren't discernible
from the other gravel and plant debris when it was all said and done.

Start the breathing.
Stop the bleeding.
Treat the wound.
Check for shock (or cause it if needed)
Rinse.
Repeat.

Works for carbon-based life as well as AD.  In your case, it's already
breathing and has a life of its own.  You need to stop the bleeding before
putting any life back into it else it will leak all over the place and create a
much bigger mess.

Great write up Joe.  Gives a great insight into the thought process and how
you've prioritized in the past.

Al