From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Brian Atkins
Sent: Wed 9/7/2005 10:56 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Where to begin...

Good Morning.  I'm brand new to the list and am seeking assistance out
of desperation/frustration.  I think that I should preface my story with
the statement that I am not an experienced Microsoft admin, but am
partially filling a void in our organization.  Most of my experience is
Unix/Linux, but my Microsoft experience has been trial by fire...

OK, here's the deal: Over the past few weeks I have been seeing some
strange behavior with our PDC.  After applying MS security updates 3
weeks ago, I have had some interesting issues related to authentication
and DNS.  It started with our Sophos (AV) Console not being able to
'push' software out to new workstations due to invalid credentials, even
though we were using a domain admin account.  After some research, I
thought that I had nailed it down to Hotfix KB899587, which was a
security patch for Kerbos.  I removed the hotfix, but after several days
put it back as it appeared to make things worse.

As of late I have had issues with NT workstations suddenly not being
able to authenticate or just not being able to see other workstation's
shares.  I thought (again) that I had narrowed it down to DNS, but, even
though I was able to fix a few minor issues with PTR records, the
problem still exists.  Here are a few examples of what I am seeing:

Scenario #1: NT Workstation
Original issue was that the user could not log on using her domain
account.  I removed, then rejoined the workstation to the domain
(several times).  Domain authentication now works, but when browsing the
network shares, that workstation cannot 'see' the PDC's shares (access
denied), but I can see all of the other shares, including the BDC's.  I
verified the share permissions were OK.  Also, when joining it to the
domain, I had to create the computer in AD prior to joining.  It would
not allow me to create the object using the check box at the bottom.

Scenario #2: XP workstation
This morning, following the change of the PTR records that were in
error, a user complained that she could no longer log onto her
workstation using her domain account.  There errors that I see are NET
LOGON 5790 "unable to locate a suitable domain controller".  This one
just happened, but there have been multiple issues across the network.

I would greatly appreciate some insight.  I'm not sure what I can
provide to assist...

Brian

"An adventure is never an adventure
when it's happening.  Challenging