~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regardless, that decision has already been made and I don't have any
input into it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think you should make an attempt to point out the precarious
location of this server, since security appears to be a concern.

You'll have more holes open in the firewall to address this box where
it is, than you'd have to have if the box were inside.

If you want domain logon capabilities, then you need to allow SMB
traffic (TCP 445), DNS and Kerberos, among others -- and I would deem
that highly inadvisable.

-ASB
 FAST, CHEAP, SECURE: Pick Any TWO
 http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/