OK; I finally figured this one out; I had to set a couple of other
settings for this to work.
Computer config\admin templates\Internet explorer\internet control
panel\security page.
        Intranet sites: Include all local (intranet) sites not listed in
other zones
        Intranet sites: Include all network paths (UNCs)

That let it work as expected.

But I'm seeing another problem as well This is one of those things that
bug us when we log on to a new machine for the first time. :-)

I've set the IE home page to our intranet, which is the only site
allowed; everything else goes to a bit-bucket proxy. So in:
User config\windows settings\internet explorer
maintenance\URLs\Important URLs, I've set the home page. But it doesn't
work. With a new user login, IE starts by going to MS site, and since
the proxy won't let it, it doesn't move forward from there. I can type
in the intranet URL manually and get there. If I allow the browser to
reach the internet, it goes to the MS site first, then to windows update
on the second launch, then to the expected home page on the third
launch.

Any way to get around this?
Thanks!

PS: Roger; good to see you back. How's things? Pam and I are moving to
AZ soon. Gimme a call sometime and we can chat...

Charlie Kaiser
W2K3 MCSA/MCSE/Security, CCNA
Systems Engineer
Essex Credit / Brickwalk